Victor of $1.5 Billion Jackpot Comes Forward, Remains Anonymous

A sign displays the jackpot for Mega Millions lottery drawings in New York October 22, 2018.

South Carolina Education Lottery Chief Operating Officer Tony Cooper, left, and KC Mart owner CJ Patel.

The payout climbed to $1.5 billion after three months and 25 draws passed without a ticket that matched all six numbers.

The owner of a convenience store that sold the winning ticket in the $1.5 billion Mega Millions lottery says it's "exciting" that a victor has finally come forward to claim the prize. They added that the lucky person has chosen to remain anonymous, meaning the commission won't even reveal whether it was a man or woman.

A simple act of kindness led to an wonderful outcome'. You can say that again.

- After months of uncertainty, a single victor has come forward to claim the $1.5 billion Mega Millions jackpot in SC.

"We are delighted that the victor is a South Carolinian and has come forward to claim this remarkable prize", Hogan Brown, the Commission's Executive Director, said.

More news: Charles Leclerc: Ferrari are not running 'flat out' yet

The victor of the second-largest jackpot in USA history let another Mega Millions player into the line in front of them moments before purchasing the ticket worth $1.5 billion.

SC is one in only a handful of states that allows lottery winners to keep their identities secret.

The winning ticket was sold in Simpsonville, S.C. back on October 23, but since then the sole victor has remained in hiding.

The victor had until April 17 to claim the prize.

The victor, perhaps not surprisingly, has opted to stay anonymous.

The long delay for the victor to step forward for the SC prize had stoked months of speculation: had the ticker purchaser died? Taxpayers in the state may get a US$50 (NZ$73) rebate as a result of the win, the newspaper said. "What we're hoping is that, through the taxpayer rebate, all taxpayers in this state will also benefit as a result".

In the four days leading up to the drawing, about 370 million of the US$2 Mega Millions tickets were sold in 44 US states, the District of Columbia and the US Virgin Islands.

(Copyright © 2015. All Rights Reserved.)
 
Recommended

Meghan Markle’s $200K Baby Shower Criticized But Not Prince William, Kate’s Vacation
After the pics went online, soon fans started speculating that Meghan is having a baby girl. "If I told you, Norah, I'd have to kill you".

Venezuela to deport USA journalists who were detained after interviewing Nicolas Maduro
Venezuelan officials confiscated his and his crew's cellphones, equipment and the material of the interview , according to Ramos. The CNN host asked him why he stopped short of calling Maduro a dictator in an interview with Univision's Jorge Ramos last week.

Kyler Murray's moment of truth: He's taller than we thought
Murray had a very good weigh-in at the 2019 NFL Scouting Combine , checking in at 5-foot-10 1/8, 207 pounds, with 9.5-inch hands . The Seahawks quarterback fell to the third round in the 2012 draft in large part because of his size.

$2,600 Huawei folding phone makes Samsung’s look cheap
Samsung's main Android threat right now would surely launch a foldable handset of its own, one it has been teasing for months now. The fair started with press conferences on Sunday, before the doors open on Monday, Feb. 25, and runs until Feb. 28.

Kim opens door to United States presence in Pyongyang at nuke talks
Speaking through an interpreter, Kim said he is " confident of achieving the great results that everyone will welcome". The second Kim-Trump summit came about eight months after the first in Singapore in June a year ago .

City boss Guardiola says anything could happen in Premier League title race
Now, Pep Guardiola's side will have a quick turnaround as its focus returns to the Premier League . City deserved their victory having dominated from the outset.

Huawei Mate X: foldable 5G smartphone that costs $2600
The screen that folds around the rear is dormant unless used to take photos or for other similar tasks, the newspaper noted. According to Huawei Consumer Business Group CEO Richard Yu, Mate X is the fastest 5G phone backed by the Balong 5000 modem.

China urges Pakistan and India to show restraint, seek dialogue
Senior government officials said there were no reports of any casualty. "We should sit down and talk about differences", he said. Addressing his Indian counterpart Narendra Modi in a televised speech, Khan said: "Better sense should prevail".

Benitez admits he has a selection headache for Burnley clash
An overhit Almiron cross is headed back into the middle by Yedlin and, via Rondon, to Perez, who powers into the net on the turn.

'They should be kissing his feet' - Bale treatment by fans 'a disgrace'
Bale joined Real from Tottenham in 2013 for £85m and has won four Champions Leagues and one La Liga title with the Spanish club. This season the 20-year-old has seven goals and six assists in 25 appearances.

Pakistan PM Imran Khan calls emergency meeting on response to India's airstrike
There has been no immediate explanation for the different accounts but India and Pakistan routinely contradict the other. He also tweeted images of the "payload of hastily escaping Indian aircraft" which "fell in (the) open".

Pope Francis opens sex abuse summit, says world expecting ‘concrete measures’
Francis, for his part, offered a path of reform going forward, handing out the 21 proposals for the church to consider. The Vatican is still struggling to articulate firm protocols on how to handle accusations of misconduct against them.

Police issue warning after reports of 'Momo' Challenge resurface
Reports of the game first surfaced in the summer of 2018, but some parents say this is the first they are hearing about it. It is believed she had been sent online messages threatening that if she didn't hurt herself, her family would be killed.

Michael Cohen to accuse Trump of racism and criminal conduct
On Tuesday, he goes behind closed doors for a talk with the Senate Intelligence Committee. He is also slated to appear before two House panels later this week.

Brand safety for advertisers on YouTube will never be 100%
YouTube said it had taken "immediate action" by deleting offending accounts and reporting the illegal activity to authorities. The "mirror" said Youtube announced that any content - including comments -that endangers minors, is disgusting.


More News

News
More News